The Army will disband the 4th Infantry Division’s 2nd Brigade Combat Team — not its 3rd Brigade Combat Team, as previously announced — by fiscal year 2015, a Fort Carson spokesperson confirmed on Monday.
The switch was made to accommodate deployment cycles, said Daneta Johnson, the post’s chief of media relations.
The Army is inactivating 10 brigade combat teams by fiscal year 2015, affecting hundreds of soldiers.
The switch in brigade combat teams should not affect previously announced numbers. The cut should still reduce the post’s projected military population by about 1,500 troops by 2017, and should save the Army the same amount of money, Johnson said.