Owners of The Perk Downtown hope to reopen their coffee shop within a month.
The shop, owned by Don and Kay Heaberlin, experienced a small fire last Friday that destroyed several coffee-making machines a tea maker, two microwaves, some already roasted beans, and other small items. The building was not damaged.
But the real harm came from thick smoke that now forces the Heaberlins to clean walls, floors and ceilings, wash tables, and destroy or discard nearly all the edible or drinkable items inside the store during the fire.
While the cause of the fire that started at about 5:45 a.m. that Friday is still under investigation, arson has been ruled out.